• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

In the News

PREVNet's Dr. Joanne Cummings and Dr. Debra Pepler in the Globe and Mail

Empathy is Canadian education’s best weapon against bullying, but it is a flawed tool

"The prevailing wisdom, backed by experts, is that children are less likely to pick on peers if they understand the damage they can do. But kids aren’t born empathetic, they’re more susceptible to impulses, and worse, one experts points out, the lesson meant to tame the bully may have the opposite effect."

Read the complete article.

PREVNet and Family Channel on City News Online for the beginning of Bullying Awareness Week

"Toronto Mayor Rob Ford helped kick off Bullying Awareness Week at city hall on Monday and admitted that he was the victim of taunts in his youth. This year the City of Toronto has partnered with police, anti-violence group PREVNet, the Toronto Coalition for the Awareness and Prevention of Bullying and others to launch Bullying Awareness Week, which goes until Nov. 18."

Read the complete article.

PREVNet Researcher Dr. Tracy Vaillancourt - University of Ottawa Gazette

Teens are “wired” to belong — social media and bullying

"Not that long ago, the main social activity in a teen’s life comprised of face-to-face communication (yes I can appreciate how old I sound in writing this). For today’s teen, the primary mode of communication is texting—in fact, close to 20% of teens exchange more than 6000 texts per month. Almost all teens (95%) are on-line (the other 5% are probably grounded) using social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook."

Read the complete article.

Mindshare Learning Podcast Interview with Dr. Debra Pepler on Cyberbullying

"To address the issue of cyber bullying, Robert Martellacci spoke with Dr. Debra Pepler, a distinguished research professor at York University. Her research focuses on bullying, aggression and other forms of violence, especially among marginalized and alienated young people."

Watch the Podcast

Dr. Debra Pepler in the Toronto star

Parents have a key role to play in teaching healthy relationship skills

"Parents can make a difference when it comes to encouraging their children to make healthy relationship choices down the road. These skills don’t develop automatically..."

Read the complete article.

PREVNet and the Family Channel promote Bullying Awareness Week

"Family Channel co-founded Bullying Awareness Week in 2003 and developed the Stand UP! campaign in association with PREVNet (Promoting Relationships and Eliminating Violence Network), a national network of Canadian researchers, community organizations and governments committed to ending bullying and promoting positive relationships."

Read the complete article.

PREVNet Researcher Dr. Shelley Hymel in 24Hrs Vancouver

Accuracy of independent and government bullying surveys questioned

"A new survey on cyber-bullying and its “traditional” counterpart suggests more than half of B.C. teens tell their parents they’ve been bullied, and nearly a quarter say they’ve been cyber-bullied."

Read the complete article here.

Dr. Wendy Craig speaks to CKWSTV

“Bullying Part 2:Have Your Ever Been A Victim of Bullying?"

From - Newswatch Newsroom - Watch the video

Dr. Debra Pepler in the Toronto Observer

"Antonio Virgo used to be a bully. In high school, he would tease others to build himself up, he says. Then it hit him. He stopped bullying once he understood how his actions could lead to very real, very serious consequences, the now 22-year-old Durham College student said."

Read the complete article here.

Dr. Wendy Craig in the National Post

Amanda Todd and the greatly exaggerated cyber-bullying plague: Web harassment not on the rise, researcher says.

"When 15-year-old Amanda Todd took her life this month after suffering years of online torment, it sparked an outcry over what was portrayed as a growing scourge. British Columbia Premier Christy Clark raised the possibility of criminalizing cyber-bullying in response to the Port Coquitlam teen’s death."

Read the complete article here.


© 2023 PREVNet. Tous droits réservés.